Saturday, January 17, 2009

Purge, Purge, Purge

In the spirit of getting rid of bad things and inviting good things in, it seems that the time has come to purge the house of "bad stuff" or clutter. Now, this certainly won't get done in just a few days, so I'm going to start with things that can have a negative impact on my (and Scott and the dogs') health. I'm working on an EMF (Electro Magnetic Field) audit, where we unplug everything that is not used daily (appliances use 5% of their energy when plugged in even when turned off, not to mention sending EMFs through your body, not great for cancer, I imagine). I already went through and made sure the windows were shut tight during this super cold weekend as well.

The next purge is a household cleaning product purge, and will get rid of everything that is not "green" and environmentally friendly. No more bleach or products that are toxic. I can actually feel my lungs hurt whenever I smell Clorox products or bleach, so out it goes. There are so many good products that are healthy it makes no sense to use the hazardous chemicals that pass for cleaners these days.

A third audit is all my hair stuff, since even once my hair comes back I'm keeping it short. This one is not particularly dangerous, but will help clean out some space in the cupboards. Also working through the makeup and skin products as they can have many bad items as well, starting with aluminum in deodorant. A final audit is supplements and over-the-counter medications. I have accumulated many more OTC products than I have ever had before, especially when I was feeling bad and before my diagnosis, as we tried to get me feeling better, so I'msure many things are either outdated, ineffective or can plain old go .

Now many of these changes have been in effect around here for ages, but stuff does manage to creep in and its time to put order to the shelves. I think that having the clutter gone and giving the place a good cleaning (as energy allows) will help make an environment more conducive to healing.

I would also love to get rid of excess electronics, but this is the biggie that Scott will need to participate in fully to make work, and I know he loves his electronics! I guess I have my work cut out for me on that score. Join me if you will in purging if you feel so inclined, I bet we'll all feel better for it.

No comments:

Post a Comment