Saturday, December 13, 2008

The Appointment that Helped

I finally got in to see Dr. O'Connell and was immediately greeting by her nice nurse and huge concern about how pale I was. I guess the by-now 50-day period was telling on me. Scott accompanied me, as he was quite concerned about my health. I had been missing days of work, just trying to keep it together until I made it to this appointment. I had developed the rash all over my body, pink spots that I could not resist scratching, even in my sleep. I had dropped about 23 pounds without trying and on the Sunday before my appointment I had even started lactating, quite a shock for a woman with no children and no pregnancy!

Dr. O started the exam, and pressure on my abdomen was making me very uncomfortable. She went in for the internal, and could only feel a mass, no cervix or uterus was in "sight". After palpating my abdomen she was able to determine that my fibroids were huge, then immediately ordered an ultra-sound for two days later. Her concern was apparent and I knew I was going to have to have a hysterectomy, I just didn't know how bad it was. My concern was mostly saving the ovaries so I could keep my natural hormones going as much as possible.

The next day I went to the gastroenterologist, and he also palpated my abdomen (making me yelp like a puppy) , immediately noting a huge mass pressed against my intestines and most likely causing the diarrhea and vomiting. he decided that since my OB/GYN was already on the trail he would just stay informed and let her take the lead, since it seemed to be a problem for her. He did mention that the rash could be related to one of many gastroenterological diseases, but since Dr. O had said it looked like a pregnancy rash he would again defer to her until she was done, especially in light of the ultra-sound she had ordered.

No comments:

Post a Comment